I started my British passport application when I received my naturalisation certificate. We thought it’s best to apply as soon as possible rather than later with the travels we were planning to do. Also, with the planned strikes there may be delays with the turnaround time.
The application for a British passport is quite straightforward. I’ll list in the order I processed my application.
- Recent passport photo. There are a lot of photo booths where you can get this. The applicant can also upload the digital photo by typing a code on the online application form.
- Online application form. Go to the official GOV.UK website, and search for the passport online application form.
- Completed the application form.
- As mentioned, I uploaded my digital photo by typing the code.
- I added the person’s name and email address who will confirm my identity since this is my first adult UK passport. The applicant has to provide a countersignatory who is a person of professional standing, see complete list in the official website. You can add your British professional referee from your British citizenship application, let them know in advance as they have to complete this step.
- Identity confirmation. I received a confirmation my countersignatory has completed this step and then I sent my supporting documents.
- Supporting documents. The below documents were sent through Royal Mail special delivery service:
- Naturalisation certificate
- Philippine passport used to enter the UK.
- Current Philippine passport. I updated my passport back in 2019.
- Application approved. The applicant has the option to receive an automated notification. Email and SMS are both free to subscribe, no additional charges for this service. Tracking service is also available.
- Passport printed. The applicant has the option to receive an automated notification. Email and SMS are both free to subscribe, no additional charges for this service. Tracking service is also available.
It took 2 business days to receive my new passport. The turnaround time was very impressive! For a more detailed timeline, refer to the next section.
- Application Submitted: 19 March 2023
- Identity Confirmed/Application Received: 23 March 2023
- Documents Received: 29 March 2023
- Application Approved: 2 April 2023
- Passport Printed: 3 April 2023
- Passport Delivered: 5 April 2023
- Passport Fee: £82.50
- Fees for the return of supporting documents: £5
*Fees may change without prior notice.
The supporting documents that were provided as part of this application have been returned on a separate mail. Hope this blog has been helpful to you. xx